<--Previous Chapter Next Chapter-->
Chapter 3 – Danny In Charge


McGarrett spent the next day alternating between napping in a deck chair on the lanai and being bored. He surreptitiously gave his arm a try, but the resulting feeling was bad enough to make him take the maximum allowable dose of the pain pills he’d been prescribed. He was asleep stretched out on the sofa when Danny came in, juggling a paper bag of groceries and his briefcase. He shut the door and set down the case.

Steve opened his eyes. “Hi, Danny.”

“How are you feeling?” Danny crossed to the couch and looked down at his boss with concern, the groceries still in his arms.

“Bored.” McGarrett yawned. “All this resting is apparently tiring,” he said, with a half smile.

Danny took the groceries to the kitchen, then, leaving them on the counter, returned to the living room, opening his briefcase. “I thought I’d cook for you tonight, Steve,” he said. “I promise it will be better than last time—I got a book from the library.” He brought it over to show Steve.

“101 Foolproof Recipes for the Busy Housewife, huh?” That doesn’t bode well, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere, Steve thought. He dozed off again as Danny went to start dinner, to be woken by an exclamation from the kitchen. Sitting up abruptly, he let out an exclamation of his own as pain shot through his shoulder.

Danny came out of the kitchen holding a red-stained handkerchief around his finger. “Steve, are you OK?” he asked anxiously.

“I could ask you the same thing. How bad is it?”

“It’s nothing. I just need a band-aid so I don’t bleed on the food.”

“In the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, top shelf.”

After Danny returned, his finger bandaged, Steve asked, “What were you cutting?”

“An onion.”

“When I get my left hand back, I’ll show you some knife skills. It’s like gun safety—it’s important to do things the right way, or you’ll get hurt.”

“Now you tell me,” Danny said, laughing. “Go back to your nap. This should be done in half an hour. I hope.” He returned to the kitchen.

An hour later, Danny triumphantly set the casserole dish on a trivet in the middle of the kitchen table and removed the lid. “There! Cheesy Hamburger Casserole.”

“It looks very...nourishing,” Steve said, looking at the bubbling substance.

“That’s what I thought,” Danny said. “You need to build up your strength.” He dished out a plateful and set it in front of Steve, looking at him expectantly.

Steve took a bite. I could eat like this in the Navy, but I’m not as young as I used to be...as soon as my arm is better, I swear I’m going to teach Danny to cook real food. Without casualties, I hope.

“You don’t like it, do you? I guess, come to think of it, it’s not really the sort of thing you usually eat.” Danny looked crestfallen.

“No, no, it’s great!” Steve said, hastily taking another bite. “It’s nice to have a change. I was just trying to guess what’s in it. Green peppers?”

“Yeah, onion, green pepper, a can of tomatoes, hamburger, and macaroni. The recipe said if you used American cheese it would melt better, and it really worked,” Danny said proudly, serving himself and sitting down.

“Yes, it’s very...cheesy,” Steve said, trying to eat with enthusiasm.

Danny beamed across the table at him.

For that smile, I’ll finish the whole thing. “Danny...thanks. I don’t think anyone’s cooked for me since my mother died.”

McGarrett leaned back in his desk chair and sighed, rubbing his eyes. I’ve been looking forward to this day for weeks, and I’m sure I’ve been making Danny’s life hell with my impatience, but now that I’m here.... His shoulder ached, the pile of paperwork on his desk was a foot high, and he had a budget meeting with the governor that afternoon that he was totally unprepared for. At least Five-O didn’t seem to have any really big cases going at the moment.

Danny came in with Chin and Kono, carrying a stack of papers. “Steve, here are all the reports for the new cases we worked while you were gone.” He set them on the desk.

“Thanks, Danno.”

“Also...we knew you had a budget meeting today, so the three of us looked at your budget report from last year and tried to write up some recommendations.” He looked over at Kono, who reached across the desk with the folder he had been carrying, opening it and setting it in front of his boss.

“I...I don’t know what to say,” McGarrett said. He blinked quickly and looked down to hide an unexpected rush of emotion.

“Say ‘thanks’, bruddah,” advised Kono. “This budget stuff is hard!”

Steve smiled, and everyone laughed. I missed my ‘ohana, he thought.

That afternoon, Steve leaned back in his desk chair in the warm sunlight streaming through the lanai door. I should go over the budget material again, he thought, picking up Danny, Chin, and Kono’s report. I have to meet the governor in half an hour....

Danny came into the office. He crossed to where Steve sat behind the desk.

“You don’t need to read this again, you already know it by heart,” he said, taking the report from Steve’s hands.

“This will leave you much more refreshed for your meeting,” he said, sitting on Steve’s lap and starting to work removing his tie.

“Wait...Danny, we can’t do this here!” Steve protested.

“Sure we can. I locked the door and told Jenny that we’re having an important meeting and are not to be disturbed.

“Well....” Steve gave in.

Holding his second-in-command with his good arm, he said “Danny...God, I’ve missed this.”

“Me, too, Steve,” Danny told him, unbuttoning Steve’s shirt and bending to kiss him.

Steve sucked his breath in sharply as Danny’s hand moved downward to stroke him through his pants....

The telephone rang.

Abruptly sitting up, Steve picked up the receiver.

“McGarrett?”

“Steve, welcome back!”

“Er...thank you, Governor.” McGarrett leaned over to fish the budget report from the floor, where he had apparently dropped it upon falling asleep.

“Don’t bother to come over for our meeting. I’ll drop by the Five- O office.”

Sitting up and setting the report on the desk, Steve tried to adjust his pants to alleviate his discomfort. “I was just going to start over....”

“It’s your first day back. I don’t want you to exert yourself unnecessarily,” the Governor said.

“Thank you, Governor. Aloha.”

McGarrett replaced the receiver.

That’s nice of him, though I’m getting tired of everyone treating me with kid gloves. Kono won’t let me reach for a folder without opening it on the desk for me, and as for Danny...I can’t believe he’s being so stubborn about waiting until I’m completely recovered. Even though he sleeps in my bed, he insists on lying at the very edge, out of arm’s reach. Maybe tonight...if I’m well enough to be here, then....

The intercom buzzed. McGarrett heard Jenny’s voice, “the Governor is here.”

“Send him in,” he told her.

Governor Jameson strode into Steve’s office. “Welcome back, Steve!” he said, reaching across the desk to shake hands.

“Thanks, Governor. It’s good to be back.”

“Not that Williams didn’t do a good job in your absence,” Jameson said, sitting down in one of the chairs in front of Steve’s desk. “You really chose your protégée well.”

“Thanks. You know I think very highly of him,” McGarrett said with an inward smile. He came around the desk to join the Governor, sitting in one of the high-backed white chairs rather than taking his usual perch on the desk edge in deference to his injured shoulder.

“How is the policewoman who shot you? I understand she was brainwashed somehow?” the Governor asked, leaning forward inquiringly.

“She’s been working with a police psychiatrist. I haven’t seen her since the incident, since they felt it might slow her recovery. They say she’ll be OK, in time.”

“Good, good,” said the Governor, sitting back. “Now, about this budget meeting....”

That evening, Steve and Danny celebrated with takeout from Steve’s favorite Italian restaurant. Afterwards, they drank coffee in the living room, discussing the work of the day.

“Danny, you did a great job holding things together while I was gone,” McGarrett said, leaning back on the sofa with his feet on the coffee table.

Danny smiled over at Steve from where he lounged in an armchair at right angles to the couch. “I’m just glad you’re back, Steve. If I had to go to one more meeting with politicians and bureaucrats....”

“Yeah, welcome to my life. It’s not all long hours, tedious legwork, and getting shot,” McGarrett said, smiling.

The doorbell rang. Steve sat up, swinging his feet off the table and automatically giving a quick glance around the living room. We’re fully dressed. No reason Danny shouldn’t be here eating dinner with me.

“Go ahead and get it,” he told Danny, waiting by the door.

Danny opened the door and was surprised to see Joyce Bennett on the doorstep, the first time he’d seen her since the night she shot Steve. She seemed equally surprised to see him.

“Oh....” she said. “I...I wanted to talk to Steve. If he’s not resting?”

“I’m here,” Steve said, coming to the door. “Come in.”

“I’ll wait in there,” Danny said, indicating the bedroom door, leaving Joyce and Steve alone in the living room.

“Have a seat,” McGarrett offered, gesturing towards the chair recently vacated by Danny. “Can I get you some coffee?”

“No, no, I’ll only take a minute of your time.” She stood looking uncertainly up at him.

“What can I do for you?” he asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Steve....” she began, glancing at his arm in its sling. “Oh, Steve, I’m so sorry!”

“You were hypnotized in the line of duty,” he told her. He raised a hand towards her shoulder, then dropped it. “It wasn’t your fault. And that night, I should have seen there was something wrong and not let you go. I owe you an apology for putting you in danger.”

“No, it was my fault. I should have been able to fight it! I should never have been able to harm you, of all people!” She looked up at him, tears running down her face.

“What, shooting your boss doesn’t seem like a good idea?” he smiled reassuringly. “It’s OK, Joyce.”

She shook her head. “No, that’s not what I mean.” She clasped her hands in front of herself and turned away, taking a step towards the door. “Steve, I...I guess I’ve felt like this for a long time, but I’ve been afraid to say anything.” She turned back to face him. “I’m in love with you! And I shot you! Please, let me make it up to you. I’ll come over and cook, take care of you....” She stood in front of him, looking up at him entreatingly.

“Joyce,” he broke in gently. “Thank you. But I’m afraid it’s impossible for there to be anything between us.” At least this time I don’t have any hard decisions to make, he thought wryly.

“I...I was afraid of that,” she said, turning away to fish a tissue from her purse.

He stood behind her. “Joyce, I’m truly sorry. I don’t blame you for shooting me, and I’d be happy to work with you on another case.”

“Steve McGarrett, all business, all the time,” she said, looking back at him with a watery smile.

Not all the time.... he thought, an image of Danny waiting in the bedroom crossing his mind.

“Goodnight, Steve,” she said, moving for the door, dabbing at her eyes with the kleenex.

“Goodnight, Joyce.” He let her out, then sighed, leaning back against the door and shaking his head.

Danny came out of the bedroom after the door closed. “I’m sorry, Steve, but I didn’t want to get out of earshot in case she had any of Farrar’s programming left.”

“Protecting me, Danno?” Steve asked with a smile, standing up and crossing the living room to join his partner.

“Someone has to do it. When I leave you alone you go and get yourself shot. So, how do you manage to inspire all your subordinates to fall in love with you? Who’s next, Chin?” he asked, smiling.

“Chin knows I’m taken,” Steve said, taking the opportunity to put his good arm around Danny and pull him close for a kiss.

“Poor Joyce,” Danny said, standing in the taller man’s embrace and looking up into his deep blue eyes. “I know how painful it is to feel unrequited love for Steve McGarrett.”

“Danny...I’m sorry about that.”

“Water under the bridge,” Danny said. He turned away, moving out of the semicircle of Steve’s arm. “Steve...I’ve...I’ve been meaning to tell you. Thank you for not sending me undercover. If Farrar had made me shoot you....”

“It wouldn’t have been your fault, any more than it was Joyce’s,” McGarrett said gently, moving to put his arm around Danny’s shoulders.

“Still, I couldn’t...couldn’t bear knowing....” He looked at his feet.

“I was afraid I assigned her instead of you because I had a bad feeling about the situation, and I didn’t want to risk your life,” Steve admitted. “That’s why I went alone when she asked—I felt responsible for whatever happened to her.”

“Steve, you were right that it would work better to send a woman. I’m sorry I questioned your decision.”

“Questioning my decisions is one of your jobs as second-in-command,” Steve smiled, sliding his arm down to Danny’s waist again. He leaned over for a kiss, this time deeper, his tongue meeting Danny’s, their bodies pressed as close as the obstacle of Steve’s immobilized arm would allow.

“Wait, Steve,” Danny said, struggling to focus as Steve’s mouth found his earlobe. “I’m questioning your decision to do this right now. Your shoulder...Steve! Stop that!” He put his hand on Steve’s good shoulder and pushed gently to try to separate them. “Not until the doctor says you’re completely recovered.”

“Danny, you can’t possibly mean that. It’s been forever! My shoulder is fine. I won’t take my arm out of the sling, and if it hurts, we’ll stop.” Steve was leaning down attempting to unbutton Danny’s shirt with his teeth so as not to have to release his hold on his waist.

“That doctor is right,” Danny said, gasping, as Steve, having abandoned his attempt, moved his mouth over Danny’s nipple, licking it through the fabric of his shirt. “You are the worst patient ever. Wait...we can do this, but only if you let me take care of everything, and do what I say.”

“OK, this time you’re the boss.” The dark-haired detective stood up, releasing his partner and moving half a step back.

“Kiss me,” Danny ordered.

As McGarrett smiled and moved to comply, Dan unbuttoned Steve’s shirt, sliding his left hand under it to feel the muscled contours of his partner’s chest, with its crisp, dark hair, careful to stay away from the bandaged shoulder.

I don’t want to admit it to him, but sleeping next to him without touching him has been torture, Danny thought, breaking their kiss to follow his hand with his mouth, rewarded by Steve’s sharp intake of breath as Danny’s tongue found his right nipple.

Steve reached down to the buttons of Danny’s shirt, struggling to undo them one-handed.

“Let me.” Danny quickly divested himself of his shirt, then stood enjoying the feeling of Steve’s touch as their mouths met once again.

“You have no idea how much I missed this,” Steve said, his voice hoarse.

“Oh, I think I do,” Danny responded, guiding Steve’s hand lower. He reached to unfasten Steve’s pants, sliding pants and underwear down so Steve could step out of them. He took a second to admire the sight of Steve mostly unclothed, his cock standing rigidly at attention. I wish I could get his shirt off, but I don’t want to mess with the sling right now, since I know it hurts him even though he won’t admit it.

“Danny, please....”

Danny quickly finished undressing, then stood with his arms around Steve’s waist, enjoying the feeling of Steve’s body against his for the first time in far too long.

“Hmm...which would be better—the sofa, or the bed?” Danny mused.

“I don’t care where, as long as it’s somewhere soon,” McGarrett said, bending to kiss along the top of Danny’s shoulder.

“OK, the bed,” Danny said, trying to focus. He led Steve into the bedroom and piled pillows on the bed. “Lie down there, that should support your shoulder,” he ordered.

“Yes, Boss,” Steve said, climbing into the bed and arranging himself against the pillows, trying to find a comfortable position for his arm in its sling.

Danny joined him, moving to sit straddling Steve’s outstretched legs. He reached to take Steve’s rigid cock into his hand.

Williams paused. I don’t think this will hurt his shoulder....

McGarrett groaned, eyes closed, head thrown back against the pillows, his dark hair spilling over the white linens. “Danny, please hurry....”

Danny reached for the nightstand drawer. He applied lubricant to his own rock-hard cock and slid one hand along its length while he lowered his mouth onto Steve’s.

“Ah!” Steve gasped, as Danny set to work on his shaft. He tried to lean forward to grasp Danny’s in turn.

“No, you promised!” Danny said, raising his head. “Let me take care of everything.”

“Danny....” Steve protested, but obeyed.

Danny felt Steve’s hand buried in his hair, as he moved his mouth and hand up and down in rhythm with his other hand pleasuring himself.

It wasn’t long before Steve exclaimed “Wait!” pulling Danny’s head up. “Kiss me....”

As Danny’s mouth found Steve’s, Steve came, the pent-up frustration of the past weeks dissipating in hot, sticky liquid, Danny soon following suit.

He told Steve to lie still as he fetched a damp washcloth and cleaned them up, then lay in a compromise version of his usual favorite position, stretched out against Steve’s body, wrapped around his good arm. He sleepily kissed Steve’s shoulder.

“Mm...Danny, I missed this,” Steve said.

“I did, too,” Danny admitted. “But that doesn’t change that you need to have more common sense when you’re injured!”

“Even now you’re riding me about that?” Steve said indignantly.

I suppose if you weren’t the worst patient ever, you wouldn’t be Steve.... Danny thought as he fell asleep.


<--Previous Chapter Next Chapter-->

Return to The Telephone Rang